T01 English for Science Documentaries

Our English for science documentaries are now available via YouTube. Congratulations on your efforts.  Enjoy the videos and leave some comments for your classmates. Remember to keep your comments positive and constructive!

T01_Group 1_CC, Connor, Khem, Louis

T01_Group 2_Ann, Johnson, Chiu Man, Frank

T01_Group 3_Sharon, Stephanie, Ann

T01_Group 4_Donald, Eric, John

T01_Group 5_Vicky, Priscilla, Long, Christine

T01_Group 6_Trish, John and Jan

T01_Group 7_Thomas,Tracy,Felix,Kristal

21 thoughts on “T01 English for Science Documentaries

1. T01_Group 3_Sharon, Stephanie, Ann:
    I’m really impressed by your video. The camera technique is great. Different camera angles and locations, slow and fast motions, long shot and mid shot are all used appropriately. The research process and biological explanation are clearly illustated. Also, the background music fits the narration well and the change of different soundtracks is made fluently without any weird part. Therefore I think you have done a good job on this!

2. T01_Tracy
    I am commenting group 1 documentary. I think their video is quite creative and interesting.They have a strong storyline to explain what sleep debt is and conduct experiment to prove their point of views. Key points of each part are clearly shown in written form.. Great utilisation of multimedia to attract audience ,like various images and background music. Just a few grammatical mistakes that should be pay attention. All in all, they have done a satisfactory job.

3. T01_Group 3_Sharon, Stephanie, Ann:

I like the part of using some drawings to explain the relationship between sleep debt and using electronic devices. The painting looks cute and it helps to draw my attention to video.

Also there are various shooting angles of the video, especially the low point of view from the floor to the people, which is creative.

4. T01_Group 5_Vicky, Priscilla, Long, Christine:
    Although the brain in the last part of video cause us easier to understand the theory, there are still some specific word about the brain. I think you should explain more the word. Also, I guess that the image of brain is found from internet. You should avoid to use the image from internet because of copyright. Moreover, the explaination of game is very clear. You should smile more and be more energy while you are taking the video

5. T01_Group 7_Thomas,Tracy,Felix,Kristal:

You guys have all done a satisfactory job. You, in the first place, use some examples seen in the aisle to introduce your big topic which is multitasking. However, you may consider a more effective way to get into your topic, for instance, asking a question like “Does this look familiar to you?” or “Are you one of them?” may better gain ppl’s attention.
    You did apply various video skills like different motions and angles, which is nice, but think of adding more B-rolls to avoid staying at one scene for too long as that will be quite plain. (e.g. Use B-rolls to substitute the scenes in 5:55-6:05 is more preferred that just put some scenes you have already used in the beginning)
    Plus, try to (1) project your voice so that viewers find that you are cheerful enough to attract them to see what’s this video about, and (2) Rehearse a few more times before you really record your voice which enhances your fluency, as I hear there is a little hesitation [Very different from some impromptu presentations in class, you can prepare yourself better for this video assignment]
    The ending is great as it allows people to have their own rooms of thinking whether if multitasking diminishes the effectiveness comparing to just do merely one single task at one time.
    Last but not least, there is a credit page included in your video, which is indeed forgotten by many of the other groups or sessions.
    A great job overall, so keep this up!

6. T01_Group 3_Sharon, Stephanie, Ann:
    I really like your background music. Light music with shooting angle’s changing make the scene lively. What’s more, all the places you pick as backgrounds are beautiful, which makes people feel relaxed so that they will be much more willing to accept your opinions. It’s amazing that you are able to show clear structure, do good editing and adjust volume properly in such a short time. I can see from your video that you spend a lot of effort on it. Finally, I want to say that I am not watching but enjoying your video. Be proud of yourselves!

7. T01_Group 2
    The video was over all great. The background music was good, it made the documentary vivid. I see that you guys have hand-drawn pictures in the video, which is really interesting. However, I think the video showed too much statistics and some of them were too hard to understand, especially the part where it show a lot of calculation. Anyhow, I can see you guys put a lot of effort and have done a great job.

8. T01_Group 5_Vicky, Priscilla, Long, Christine:
    First of all, your idea is great that the group uses an interesting way to report the issue. I am impressed by this method and I feel like watching a TV program! Also, the structure of the video is very clear here with interviews and experiments.
    However, there are somethings that you can improve. First, I think it is better if the narrator can look at the camera. I found that some actors or actresses did not really focus on the camera, resulting in losing eye contact. Moreover, it may be needed to explain some of the difficult wordings. By the way, it is an informative and good video.

9. T01_Group 5_Vicky, Priscilla, Long, Christine:
    The idea of using news report as an introduction of your documentary is good and interesting. Also, the structure of the documentary is clear and it is easy to understand. Yet, there is something that you can improve. First, it is clear to see that some of you didn’t make eye contact with the camera because of foucusing on the script. Second, the tone of the speaker is so flat. It will be better if more intonation is added. Hope these little suggestions may help you.

10. T01_Group 7_Thomas,Tracy,Felix,Kristal

Wow! That was really an interesting and informative video you have there. I especially appreciate the part where additional experimental method were done beside the one that the teachers have given you. It shows the seriouness from you people. Really enjoyed it. The statistics and graphs were also very clear.

However, there is one point that I would like to pinpoint. In some parts of the interviews, loud background noises covered the voices of those interviewees, so the conversation could not be heard clearly, which was unfortunate. Maybe you can record the video in somewhere quieter, for example behind the staircase, or an empty classroom, that would be nicer.

But overall nice job! ^^

11. T01_Group 4_Donald, Eric, John
    I think you all have done a great job.
    The structure is well-organized and content is clearly illustrated by scenes with a sense of humor which make the video interesting and enjoyable.
    Besides, the way you present the survey and interview result is perspicuous, making it easy to follow which is nice. However, there are some noise from the background which lower your voice and I reduce the clarity. Therefore, I suggest that you may choose a more quiet place to record the video. But the video is nice overall:)

12. T01_Group 4_Donald, Eric, John
    I think you all have done a great job.
    The structure is well-organized and the content is illustrated clearly which make the video easy to follow.
    I like the way you elucidate the content by related senses with a sense of humor which make the video interesting and enjoyable. And the way you present result from survey and interview is perspicuous which is nice.
    However, some noise from the background lowered the voice of narrators and it is quite distractive. Therefore, I suggest that you may find a more quite place to record video next time. But I really appreciate your work overall:)

13. T01_Group 1_CC, Connor, Khem, Louis

I love this video so much because the video is very informative and amusing.

In the video, you explain what the sleep debt is in detail with some photos and the points are clearly shown in written forms so that the audiences can understand what the narrator is talking about.

In addition,the characters,including the two seemingly serious scientists, are very hilarious.And the snoring sound effects and the background music are also the highlights of this video.

Even though there are some lapses in grammar,overall you guys do a very great job!!!!!

14. T01_Group 6_Trish, John and Jan
    This video is very interesting! Firstly, the background music is upbeat that fit the conversation during game and narration.The most impressed scene of the video is playing the multitasking game. In addition to your friends who played the game hilariously, the editing of video make the scene more exciting. However, you should avoid using the videos from the internet because of the copyright.
    Overall this video is really nice!

15. T01_Group 4_Donald, Eric, John
    In general, I love your video. The content of sleep debt is clearly interpreted with the result of surveys and also interviews. Moreover, the way you present the suggestion for lowering chance of sleep debt is amusing and it attracts me to keep watching. The way you zoom into introduction is very enchanting. Yet, there is something can be improved. Introduction and the conclusion are filmed outdoor, which the environment surrounded is too noisy while the voice recording is not doing good enough, so it makes audience difficult to listen to the narrators’ speech clearly. All in all, you have done a great job. Keep going!

16. T01_Group5_Vicky, commenting on
    T01_Group 6_Trish, John and Jan.
    I think your group did a great job in this video. Firstly, you have explained multitasking well and we can have basic knowledge about what multitasking is before the investigation starts. Secondly, you have done lots of interviews to show us how people feel about multitasking. Thirdly, you have also done many experiments to investigate whether men or women are better at multitaskng, so that you can get a more accurate conclusion. Moreover, the tone of the whole video is relaxed and delightful, with
    light-hearted background music and the occasional humour from the participants in the video. In such way, we can better enjoy the video.
    All in all, I think this is an interesting video and I enjoyed watching it.

17. T01_Group 2_Ann, Johnson, Chiu Man, Frank
    I like the part of using some drawings which is eye catching and cute !!!!

More than that , the statistic date can be present in different graph showing the clean relationship between sleep debt and back-lit device.

However, what i want to see is the effect of sleep debt with more explaination.

18. T01_Group 7_Thomas,Tracy,Felix,Kristal

Your group’s video was overall very interesting. I particularly like the extra task you made your participants do which makes the whole experiment much more accurate by having them participate in more than one type of activity. Your graphs are also well made and it was easy for us to understand. It illustrated your narrations really well.

One small problem to me is the constant changes in the audio in terms of quality and volume. Sometimes this is caused by the usage of different equipment which causes the difference in quality. Also the the environment noise is a factor. So just be mindful of these things as it ruins the flow of the documentary.

Overall I really enjoyed it, especially the multi-screen showing the game results and the ending face of your group mate in the conclusion. Good job!

19. T01_Group 4_Donald, Eric, John
    I really love your video especially the scenes of recommendations on preventing sleep debt, by showing words on screen manually and demonstrating how to prevent sleep deprivation at the same time. The background music combining with the shooting method make the whole video amazing. It’s really fun to watch:) Also, the way you show your surveys results are well- organized and the structure is very clear. It’s really a great job!

20. T01_Group 2_Ann, Johnson, Chiu Man, Frank

The video shown the “symptoms” of sleep clearly at the beginning. The symptoms is easy to understand with actions. I am very appreciate your background music in the video, GOOD! The part of data analysis seems to be convincing, but some of the calculations or graphs I don”t really understand the meaning …Anyway, I can see you guys put a lot of effort in this video. Thanks for your meaningful scientific documentary!

21. I enjoy watching your video very much. All of you did a great job. In the video. I like the most is that your narrative which are supported by different scene. This creates various angles to explain the same information and it is easier for me to understand more about multitasking. Also, the background music is very relax and good for audience.
    However, I think the opening which is explaining what is multitasking is a bit too long. It takes about 30% of overall time. The time can be used for explain the result instead.
    Overall, I like the style of the whole video and know more about multitasking.