T04 English for Science Documentaries

Our English for science documentaries are now available via YouTube. Congratulations on your efforts.  Enjoy the videos and leave some comments for your classmates. Remember to keep your comments positive and constructive!

T04_Group1_Brian, Wallace, Ken, Marcus

T04_Group 2_Stephanie, Kenny, Rachael

T04_Group 3_Ciel, Ronald, Kitty

T04_Group 4_Audi, Samantha, Hester, Angel

13 thoughts on “T04 English for Science Documentaries

1. T04_Group 2_Stephanie, Kenny, Rachael:

I appreciate that there are a lot of shots while you are explaining information. It makes the video more interesting. The grammar and words in the script is accurate and clear. The part of concluding the result is also well done with the use of charts and images. What I think you can improve is the volume and voice in the video could be much more clearer. You can also find a better place for interviewing as the canteen is quite noisy.

2. T04_Group 3_Ciel, Ronald, Kitty:

I really like the part of using paintings to explain what is multitasking. The explanation is very clear and the paintings are cute.
    What I think can be done better is the volume of the narration. Sometimes, the volume of the narration is very low and I cannot hear clearly what is being said.

3. T04_Group 2_Stephanie, Kenny, Rachael:

It is a nice video with lots of scenes. Also, the explanation part is clear with some simple sentences to describe scientific terms.

I think you can add on-screen narrator on either introduction and conclusion to increase intimacy with the audience. Also, The pie chart and bar chart can be use a coherent tone. Thank you for your sharing.

4. T04_Group 2_Stephanie, Kenny, Rachael

I think it is a good scientific documentary that have consistent content. I like the charts that you created to describe the data. This can show the data more clearly. The area that you may need to improve is the quality of voice in the video. Also I think you can add some animation to help you to explain information. It can make your documentary more interesting.

5. T04_Group1_Brian, Wallace, Ken, Marcus:

I appreciate that all the b-rolls used are perfectly fit to the voiceover. It becomes more easy for me to grasp your ideas.The introduction for survey and interview is clear. I notice what is included and what is the goal for both the survey and interview.Using charts with well-defined x-axis, y-axis and titles to show your result is explicit. And the beginning shot echoes with the ending shot.
    To better the video, the narrators can speak a little bit faster and clear. If the questions asked in the interview is read out will be perfect. Interviewer can also sit properly to show your cordiality.

6. T04_Group1_Brian, Wallace, Ken, Marcus

I like the presentation of the documentary of Group 1. It is filmed in a interesting way but at the same time it is informative. The result of the survey is presented clearly as well so that the audience can easily understand.

7. T04_Group 4_Audi, Samantha, Hester, Angel:
    I really appreciate the use of the b-roll. They pretty match with the narrations.
    Also the use of on-screen narrator is quite engaging too. Moreover,the use of animation is fantastic too. Thats useful for the audiences understanding your research.
    In conclusion, you guys done a great job and i really appreciate your effort.

8. T04_Group 3_Ciel, Ronald, Kitty:

I love the visual effects of the introduction part of the documentary. It makes the documentary more interesting. Also, the graphical presentations used to explain multitasking and its principle are clear. Audiences can easily understand even they can barely hear the narration.
    However, the background music overlaps the narration. It would be better if you can lower the volume of the background music and vice versa.

9. T04_Group4_Audi, Samantha, Hester, Angel:
    The whole video is in a optimal speed , narrators use accurate vocabularies and clear pronunciation. The multitasking game makes the video more interesting. Also, I like the way that you use computer to explain multitasking.However, there are somethings can be improved. The result of the experiment is not clear, statistic can be included. The time of game in video can be reduced.

10. T04_Group 4_Audi, Samantha, Hester, Angel:
    I find your documentary engaging and interactive, say in the demonstration of game, one of you invited the audience to play the game together. (i.e. count the number of different colored people) I joined the game though I missed the correct answer. But still, it’s interesting. Besides, instead of stating the result and directly end the video, your group also provided additional information to explain, like introduction of stress hormone involved while multitasking. It helps my understanding. So overall it’s a nice job.

11. T04_Group 2_Stephanie, Kenny, Rachael:

I realized that you have paid enough efforts on details, like the heartbeat sound added when you are mentioning high blood pressure and heart disease, which is what I really appreciate. You have also done a great job on the explanation part, using sorts of scenes, pictures and graphs to illustrate your ideas successfully.

Unfortunately, the voice quality is not controlled well. Maybe next time you have to pay more attention to the recording device that you choose and also the surroundings where you record.

More, I recommend you to think deeply about how to make a video interesting and appealing. Shot selection, color tone management and also scene design are some aspects that could mean the difference between ‘good video’ and ‘bad video’.

Great job, and hope you could learn something new from this experience!

12. T04_Group1_Brain, Wallace, Ken, Marcus:

The survey results are presented clearly using charts. Also, the explanation of how electron devices affect sleep quality is interesting as pictures are used. The overall presentation of the documentary is interesting and clear.

13. T04_Group1_Brian, Wallace, Ken, Marcus:

You guys have done an excellent work on the documentary. I can see your efforts form your work, especially the animation and those fascinating effects in the documentary. I love the way you delivery the speech and it makes the flow goes smoothly. I am looking forward to your next production. Well done!